Provigil is the brand name of the drug called Modafinil. It helps to keep a person awake. Many people use this drug to avoid sleeping problems. It is used mainly to treat excess sleep-related disorders. It is available in oral tablet form and the dosage is generally decided by the doctor.
It increases concentration and cognitive ability of a person. It mainly affects the neurotransmitters in the brain. One of the important things about this drug is that this drug rarely causes habit formation. But still, if you use the medication for a long-term, some adverse effects might occur.
What can be the adverse effects of Provigil when it is used for long-term?
- Most important adverse effect of the drug is, loss of control over sleep. You won’t be able to sleep even when it is past your bedtime and this may lead to serious effects on health. You may feel de-energized and appetite loss. You may also feel mood swings. As you have lost control oversleep, you may knowingly or unknowingly turn to other means to get your sleep, such as alcohol etc, and this may convert into the addiction of some sorts, which can be bad for your health.
- As there is no sleep, other body parts will get burdened. One instance is that your dental hygiene will deteriorate.
- Also, your whole circadian cycle will get disturbed.
- You will become a lot restless. You may have hallucinations, due to lack of sleep on time.
- Your social skills will get harmed. You won’t be able to do any creative work.
- Another adverse effect can be seen on cardiovascular health of patients. Irregular heartbeats will occur. Blood pressure will increase.
- Longer use of Provigil may affect your driving capability and ability to use machines.
- It may also lead to severe skin rashes, which may lead to Stevens-Johnson syndrome, which is a dangerous skin condition, in which epidermal cells die prematurely.
Hence, these are the adverse effects of the drug, and in order to reduce the side effects of the drug, it is better to use other methods to treat your sleep disorders such as, try to develop a sleep cycle, exercise regularly, eat healthily, and try to avoid any addiction.
Provigil Side Effects
Being a smart drug, Provigil would also have side effects too. It includes increased heart rate, mood swings, confused mindset, depression, and soreness in the throat, pain in the chest, increased thirst, urination, and sweating. In few people, it is reported to cause diarrhea, stiffness in muscles and pain in the back.
If these side effects persist for a longer period, please do contact your doctor to decrease the side effects of the drug.
In any case of side effect regarding Provigil, you are advised to contact your doctor immediately.
Precautions to be taken
- If you have any heart-related problems, mental disorders, liver-related problems or high blood pressure, you need to tell your doctor before he prescribes you Provigil. Even if these drugs cure sleep disorders, it is advised not to drive or use any heavy machinery until you feel alright, after taking the medication.
- High blood pressure patients should not use this drug because it is a stimulant which can increase blood pressure.
- Patients with renal dysfunction are advised not to take Provigil, as its excretion will be slower, resulting in more presence of the drug in the body.
Hence, it is always advised to get Provigil at the recommended dosage for the prescribed time frame in order to avoid any adverse effects and to get full efficiency of the drug in treating the disorder.